AQUAMAG® is an effective reagent in helping power plants improve efficiency of their operations as well as meet environmental standards. The two primary applications for AQUAMAG® include slag reduction and SOx mitigation.
AQUAMAG®, when added to the fuel inside a coal-fired plant, replaces the calcium (Ca2+) and sodium (Na+) ions present within the crystal structure of the slag. This produces a higher melting point slag that is more friable and less adhesive inside the boiler and on the boiler tubes. This reduction of slag accumulation inside boiler tubes helps plants to avoid costly boiler tube cleaning shutdowns.
- Reduced downtime and costs incurred by boiler tube slagging
- Increased heat transfer due to a reduction in slagging
- Safer operation of the boiler
- Reduction of SO2 going to the SCR unit
SOx Mitigation: Sulfur Trioxide (SO3) production occurs during coal combustion when the sulfur inherent within this coal is oxidized into Sulfur Dioxide (SO2), and to a lesser degree, SO3. This SO2 can be subsequently oxidized to SO3 in the presence of a catalyst, such as iron oxide or vanadium. Unfortunately, these catalysts are often used in Selective Catalytic Reactors (SCRs) and are often present in fly ash particles and slagged metal surfaces. When the flue gas cools, SO3 can combine with condensed water vapor droplets to form sulfuric acid (H2SO4). Sulfuric acid will increase the visibility of the stack discharge and can corrode exposed surfaces on the air heater, Electrostatic Precipitator (ESP), wet scrubber, stack discharge and connecting ductwork.
- Significantly reduced rates of corrosion of the flue gas ductwork
- Reduced opacity of the boiler discharge stack
- Capability to utilize lower-cost fuels with a higher sulfur content without increasing the opacity of the boiler discharge stack or reducing the boiler performance as a result of slagging
- Potential to operate the SCR and air heater at lower gas temperatures – thereby realizing heat rate improvements as well as enhancing both SO3 mitigation at the SCR and removal at the ESP
- Formation of easily-removed soluble salt byproducts
- Significantly decrease the formation of ammonium bisulfate at the SCR
Find out more about AQUAMAG® Advantages