The purpose of the EPA’s Office of Water Disinfectants and Disinfection Byproducts Rules Quick Reference Guide is to improve public health protection by reducing exposure to disinfection byproducts. The Disinfection Byproducts Rules (DBPRs) require public water systems (PWSs) to:
- Comply with established maximum contaminant levels (MCLs) and operational evaluation levels (OELs) for DBPs, and maximum residual disinfection levels (MRDLs) for disinfectant residuals.
- Conduct an initial evaluation of their distribution system.
In addition, PWSs using conventional filtration are required to remove specific percentages of organic material that may react to form DBPs through the implementation of a treatment technique.
Meeting these requirements comes at a cost, but fortunately, there is a technology available that will reduce costs while improving water quality.
The Nutri-Mg++ process is a proprietary strategy that enables municipalities to enhance their treatment of potable water while protecting their water distribution assets and fortifying their water supply with magnesium, an essential nutrient for human health.
Utilizing the Nutri-Mg++ ENHANCED WATER TREATMENT PROCESS substitutes divalent Magnesium Hydroxide for the sodium from monovalent Caustic Soda, Soda Ash and/or other chemistries, resulting in multiple plant benefits including:
- Enhanced Coagulation, Flocculation & Sedimentation
- Improved TOC removal in Bio-filtration
- Reduced inorganic sludge
Simply put, adding properly refined and processed magnesia results in consistently improved alkalinity. This makes meeting EPA requirements attainable and delivers multiple additional benefits, including:
pH/ALKALINITY CONTROL WITHOUT UNDESIRABLES
Substituting Magnesium Hydroxide for Caustic Soda, Soda Ash and/or other chemistries results in improved process performance, as well as improved safety for handlers:
- Sodium from caustic increases hypertension and is hazardous in-plant
- Calcium adds temporary hardness and potentially, scale
- Magnesium adds permanent hardness and no scale
Nutri-Mg++ directly impacts your bottom line through improved plant performance, including:
- Reduced addition of alum, iron and caustic
- Reduced polymer addition
- Fewer chemical deliveries required
IMPROVED PUBLIC HEALTH
Magnesium is an essential nutrient for human health and is often lacking in the American diet. Magnesium has been shown to lower the risk of:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Migraine Headaches
- High Blood Pressure
- Heart Disease & Stroke